In my house we frequently do breakfast for dinner and this recipe right here, this Breakfast Chorizo Enchilada Bake is perfection! Layers of green enchilada sauce, corn tortillas, an incredibly flavorful egg scramble of chorizo/peppers/onions/enchilada sauce and shredded cheese. This is so simple to make, delicious and feeds a crowd.
Today isn’t just any Friday, today is our Freaky Friday Recipe Swap- Winter Edition 2022! Michaela of An Affair From The Heart is an incredibly talented food blogger and she is the one that organizes us bloggers and these recipe swap events several times a year. Each of the participating bloggers are assigned another blog to showcase by choosing a recipe of theirs to make and share. I was assigned Lynn from Fresh April Flours!
Michaela, your efforts and time are so very appreciated! You all have got to head over to her blog and browse all the mouth watering recipes. Some of my favorites? Her S’mores Treats are addicting and so easy! Need something easy in a slow cooker then try her Crock Pot French Dip Sandwiches. Hosting a get together, Michaelas Cream Cheese Party Ball is sure to be a hit!
Lets dive into the recipe I chose for our swap, Breakfast Chorizo Enchilada Bake! Lynns recipes all sound amazing so what drew me to this one? We are big fans of Tex-Mex, and this really reminded me of the breakfast tacos we enjoyed in Texas. I look forward to also trying Lynns Buffalo Chicken Chili, No Bake Cheesecake Bites and her stunning Orange Creamsicle Layer Cake. Lynn is a self taught baker and as I tend to lean more towards cooking- I plan to use Fresh April Flours for all my sweet treat baking. Lynn and I have more then a love of food in common, we both grew up in a big Italian family and played field hockey!
My boys hockey schedule is INSANE so when I come across a recipe like this, its a joy! Minimal prep, big flavor and a family pleasing meal- what’s not to love? It starts with cooking chorizo, bell pepper and onion together until tender. In goes a simple mixture of egg, milk and seasonings. Cook the egg, moving everything around in the pan to get a nice gentle cook for a soft scramble. Once thats off the heat you’ll stir in green enchilada sauce.
This scramble alone is SO flavorful and would be delicious as is thrown into a warm taco but we’re not done there.. it gets better!! In a 9×13 baking pan you’ll coat the bottom with more green enchilada sauce, layer in 6 corn tortillas and start building this Breakfast Chorizo Enchilada Bake. Spread half the scramble over the tortilla then top with shredded Mexican cheese. Another layer of tortillas, scramble and cheese. I finished with one more layer of corn tortillas and cheese.
Pop the bake in the oven and cook for 25 minutes. I topped with fresh snipped scallions, diced tomato and avocado slices but here’s where you get to be creative and do your thing. A dollop of sour cream, some fresh mini pepper slices, lots of cilantro, guacamole… go for it! My family absolutely devoured this Breakfast Chorizo Enchilada Bake!
NOTE: Lynn suggests to store leftovers in the refrigerator, covered tightly, up to 5 days. Dish freezes well, up to 2 months. Thaw in refrigerator overnight. Make ahead: you can prep the chorizo and egg filling up to 1 day in advance. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use and proceed with step 5.
- 12 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup milk (I used 2%)
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 pound chorizo, diced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups green enchilada sauce
- 12-18 corn tortillas
- 4 cups shredded Mexican cheese
- toppings for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and milk with a fork or whisk. Add in the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, paprika, and salt and mix again until everything is combined. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, combine the chorizo*, onion, and bell pepper. Cook until veggies are tender, about 8-10 minutes. Pour in the egg mixture and stir frequently until eggs are fully cooked.
- Remove from heat and add 1 cup of enchilada sauce to the mixture. Stir until everything is completely combined.
- Pour ½ cup enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 casserole dish. Layer 6 tortillas along the bottom, followed by half of the chorizo egg mixture, and 2 cups of the shredded cheese. Repeat these layers, then bake for 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving. Serve with toppings or as is.
Take a look at all of our 2022 Freaky Friday Winter Edition Recipes:
- An Affair from the Heart – Homemade German Chocolate Cake
- Aunt Bee’s Recipes – Cafe Rio Sweet Pork
- Devour Dinner – Sweetie Pie’s Mac and Cheese
- Family Around the Table – Easy Garlic Knots
- Feast + West – Guinness Chocolate Cake with Irish Buttercream
- Fresh April Flours – Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits
- The Fresh Cooky – Easy Mini King Cake Recipe with Crescent Rolls
- Hostess at Heart – Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Blondies
- House of Nash Eats – Pizza Casserole
- Kathryn’s Kitchen Blog – Cheesy Garlic Bread
- Lemoine Family Kitchen – Breakfast Chorizo Enchilada Bake
- Life, Love & Good Food – Cheddar Cheese Popcorn
- The Speckled Palate – Hot Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Sue Bee Homemaker – Cornbread Tamale Pie