Oh boy do I have a treat for you today! This Lemon Blueberry Bread is such an easy recipe and just a perfect Springtime dessert and it all comes together right in one bowl. It is a wonderful balance of sweet and tart. Whether for Mothers Day this weekend, a backyard BBQ or just because- this Lemon Blueberry Bread will be a huge hit.
Happy Friday! Today is a special day because its our Freaky Friday Blog Hop- Spring Edition! So what the heck does that mean? Well, several times a year a bunch of us food bloggers get together for a recipe swap. We are each assigned a blog to then chose a recipe from to recreate and share. This round I was assigned the incredibly talented Nicole from Or Whatever You Do.
My food blogger pal Michaela from An Affair From The Heart puts so much time and work into organizing these recipe swaps throughout the year and her efforts are so incredibly appreciated. Her blog is packed with some of the most tasty recipes you’ll find! Her Chicken Piccata is such a delicious Italian classic! You have to check out her Slow Cooker Cilantro Lime Pork, mouthwatering good! Oh my goodness and her Traditional Reuben Sandwich is piled high and just layer upon layer of amazing flavor. Everything on her blog is mouth watering and sure to be a family or crowd pleasing dish!
You al have to head over to check out all the AMAZING recipes on Or Whatever You Do. While the range of recipes on Nicoles blog is huge, her specialty is definitely all things smoked, grilled or cooked on a flat top. There is even an Or Whatever You Do Everything Rub you can purchase! I know, I totally picked something different from those but I am a sucker for lemon and was looking for a Mothers Day dessert so this Lemon Blueberry Bread just jumped out to me. There are so many recipes I will be trying soon, like her Smoked St. Louis Ribs, Skirt Steak Street Tacos and Blackened Shrimp Caesar Wrap.
Back to this FABULOUS Lemon Blueberry Bread, shall we… Nicole uses meyer lemons in her recipe which I absolutely love! Meyer lemons are less acidic then a regular lemon and just perfect for baking. Of course, I can only find them occasionally and had no luck so you will see that I use regular lemons. Trust me- either way, you are going to LOVE this bread!! It starts out with creaming together sugar, butter and a good amount of lemon zest until creamy.
You’ll then add in one egg at a time being sure to incorporate each into the batter. Next up is the vanilla and milk. Lastly you’ll add the baking powder and flour. Mix until incorporated then stir in a lovely amount of blueberries. You’ll split the batter between two buttered loaf pans and bake for about 55-60 minutes at 350 degrees.
Now you may be wondering… there has to be more lemon than just that lemon zest right? Oh yes, this is where Nicole really turns it up. As the bread bakes you’ll make a lemon syrup which is equal parts lemon juice and sugar that is cooked until slightly thickened. Once your bread is out of the oven and cooled a bit you’ll poke some holes into the top of the bread with a skewer and brush the syrup over top letting it soak right up.
Hang tight… one more layer of lemon deliciousness!! Once the breads have cooled completely they get a generous drizzle of lemon glaze which is simply lemon juice and powdered sugar. Oh me heavens, right?!?! This Lemon Blueberry Bread is just so pretty and would make for a great gift or addition to your brunch or dessert table.
- For the bread:
- 1 cup butter, salted, room temp
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 Tbsp lemon zest
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 2 cups blueberries - tossed in 2 teaspoons flour
- For the syrup:
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- ⅓ cup sugar
- For the glaze:
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and prep two 10 inch loaf pans by buttering and flouring them well.
- Cream the sugar, butter, and lemon zest until light and fluffy, or about 4-5 minutes with a hand mixer.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, mixing after each egg until combined. Add in vanilla and milk and mix until it is combined.
- Sift flour and baking powder together and slowly add to wet ingredients. Beat just until the flour is incorporated into the batter. Gently fold in blueberries by hand.
- Divide batter between the two loaf pans and bake for 55-60 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- While the loaves are baking, make the lemon syrup by combining the lemon juice and sugar in a small sauce pan and simmering over medium heat until slightly reduced and thickened, or about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Let loaves cool in the pans for 10 minutes, and then remove to a wire rack. Cool another 10 minutes and then poke holes all over the loaf, being careful not to go all the way through, using a long skewer.
- Brush the cooled syrup over the loaves. Let the loaves cool the rest of the way, at least an hour.
- Whisk together sifted powdered sugar and remaining lemon juice to form a glaze. Pour over cooled loaves.
Take a look at all of our 2021 Freaky Friday Spring Edition Recipes:
- A Dish of Daily Life – Smoky Chicken Street Tacos
- An Affair from the Heart – Sheet Pan Shrimp Fajitas with Cilantro Lime Butter
- An Affair from the Heart – Blueberry Mojitos
- Aunt Bee’s Recipes – Easy Chile Relleno Casserole
- The Carefree Kitchen – Glazed Lemon Cookies
- The Culinary Compass – Easy Candied Pecan Recipe
- Devour Dinner – Cheese Stuffed Meatloaf
- The Foodie Affair – Keto Broccoli Salad
- The Fresh Cooky – Bowtie Pasta Recipe
- Hostess at Heart – No Bake Chocolate Cheesecake
- House of Nash Eats – Roast Beef Sliders
- Lemon Blossoms – Lemon Blueberry Crumb Bars
- Lemoine Family Kitchen – Lemon Blueberry Bread
- Life, Love & Good Food – Sandwich Cubano
- Off the Eaten Path – Grilled Vegan Guacamole
- Or Whatever You Do – Blackstone Mexican Style Street Corn
- The Speckled Palate – Lemon Bars
- Take Two Tapas – Pepperoni Pizza Pinwheels
Beautiful bread, Angela! I had forgotten all about this recipe! Thanks for reminding me. I haven’t made it in a while and need to whip one up!
Nicole, I am so glad I chose this one too! It is perfect and we all really enjoyed it.
Perfect flavor combination and a perfect quick bread for brunch, dessert, or coffee break! I’m loving that lemon syrup on the top adds a boost of lemony flavor.
Yes! Oh boy- the syrup and the glaze really kick things up. Its so good!
Chrissie Nelson Rotko
This bread looks so good! I love a delicious lemon blueberry combination and this would be so perfect to bake on a Sunday and enjoy all week!
One of my favorite combos too! I hope you love it as much as we did.
Ooo, this looks like something that should be in my oven RIGHT NOW! Printing, thank you for a great recipe!
Its so easy, all coming together in one bowl and the flavor is spot on. Enjoy!
This is so beautiful! It’s a perfect springtime recipe and I can’t wait to enjoy with some coffee!
I love lemon and blueberry and in such a pretty loaf! I made two this weekend and took them to my neighbors as gifts!
Lemon and Blueberry are hands down the most perfect combo! I can’t wait to try your sweet bread recipe! YUM!
I love blueberries and lemons together, and in a bread like this, it’s just utterly dreamy! What a great combination and a great way to start the day!
Great combination of Lemon and Blueberries, can’t wait to try this recipe and share with neighbors.
This is absolutely delicious. Everyone at home loved it. I will be making it for years to come!!
Oooh, this looks fantastic. I love making quick breads to enjoy for the weekend. We nibble on slices all day long!
GORGEOUS photos of fantastically delicious bread. Blueberries and lemons are the way to my heart! This recipe is a KEEPER!
I love everything about this beautiful bread. Lemon and blueberry is a match made in culinary heaven and your gorgeous photos have me drooling. This bread is perfect with a cup of coffee or a cup of soup. We’ll be making this one regularly!
Lemon and blueberries together are absolutely divine. I know this is going to be a hit in our house!
One of my favorite lemon treats! Love lemon and blueberries!