Its no secret- I am pretty obsessed with pasta. I just love that you can create so many different dishes with incredible flavors and ease. This Fusilli with Sausage, Kale and Butternut Squash is a personal favorite of mine. The flavors are incredible with the crisp crumbles of sweet Italian sausage, hearty kale and sweetness of the squash.
I don’t know about you but most days recently feel like there are just not enough hours in the day to get everything done. Still, I refuse to allow myself to fall into a cycle of relying on take out all the time. Its simple and quick dishes like this Fusilli with Sausage, Kale and Butternut Squash that allow me to make a hearty, healthy and flavorful dinner on even the busiest of days.
For this dish I will say that one of the things I want to emphasize is allowing the sausage time to cook slowly in a pan with a little oil to get those perfectly golden crumbles. It really makes a difference in developing the flavors and great texture from the sausage. If you like a little more spice you can add some crushed red pepper flakes here.
How gorgeous is that!? Once the sausage in ready you’ll simple add in some red onion and garlic. Add in half of a butternut squash that is diced. Once the squash is tender you can toss in a few cups of rough chopped kale. Cook until tender.
While those lovely veggies are cooking, go ahead and cook a box of fusilli to a minute shy of al dente. Reserve some pasta cooking water, drain the pasta then toss with the sausage and veggies. Season with salt and pepper, add some of the pasta water if a little dry.
I finished the dish with a ball of burrata cheese lightly drizzled with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. The creaminess of the cheese adds an incredible additional layer of flavor and texture to the dish that is just amazing!
- 1 lb fusilli
- olive oil
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage -removed from casing
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped red onion
- 3 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- half a butternut squash, peeled & cut into small- medium dice
- 3 cups loosely packed chopped kale
- salt, pepper
- burrata cheese
- In a large saute pan add a 3 Tbsp of olive oil and the sausage. Cook over medium low heat and use a wooden spoon or masher to break up the sausage into crumbles as it cooks. Cook until a nice golden color has developed.
- Add in the onion, garlic and squash. Cook until the squash is tender, stirring occasionally. This will take about 15 minutes depending on the size of the dice on the squash.
- While the squash is cooking bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the fusilli to about a minute shy of al dente. Reserve a little cooking water then drain the pasta.
- Add in the kale and cook until tender. Add in the al dente pasta and toss. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add a little olive oil and or cooking water if a little dry.
- Serve with a ball of burrata cheese seasoned with a drizzle of olive oil and salt.
Recipes you may also enjoy: