WOW! These Cheddar Scallion Corn Fritters are pretty perfect if I do say so myself. They are chock full of fresh corn, crispy outside and absolutely incredible flavor. I love the sweet & savory combo so decided to finish the fritters with a drizzle of honey. Heaven!!
I literally finished making these Cheddar Scallion Corn Fritters and had to jump on the computer to share right away. Like a certain chip, once you pop these fritters you can’t stop- they really are THAT GOOD! These are packed with fresh corn, have the most perfect crispy outside and the flavor with the cheddar and scallion is really fantastic.
I had some corn on the cob leftover in the fridge from the weekend and I absolutely hate wasting food so figured why not make a fritter! You can of course used drained canned corn if you don’t have fresh available. I am really looking forward to making them again when Jersey corn is ready to go. Nothing better!
These are very easy to make too- which I love. I mix the dry ingredients in a bowl then add that to the mixed wet ingredients. I like to use a small cookie scoop to form the fritters. It’s as simple as scooping and gently dropping into a pot with hot vegetable oil. If you don’t have a scoop, no worries, you can use a couple spoons.
Check out those golden beauties!! Frying fritters can sometimes be tricky- you don’t want them crisp on the outside and raw on the inside, you don’t want them to soak too much oil. Don’t worry though its simple to get it perfect! I like to use a smaller pot so I don’t have to use a ton of oil. You want to heat the oil and to know when its ready simply touch the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon- if it bubbles around the end then its ready.
When frying I always suggest making a test one first. Cook the fritter until it’s golden. Cool for a minute then break it open to make sure it had enough time to cook on the inside. Its as simple as adjusting the flame. Great thing too- if you’re making these Cheddar Scallion Corn Fritters for a party you can fry them ahead of time then just pop in the oven to warm.
- 2½ cups corn
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- 3 Tbsp snipped scallion
- 2 eggs
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup corn meal
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- black pepper to preference
- vegetable oil for frying
- honey to drizzle
- In a small bowl mix together the flour, corn meal, baking powder, sugar, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- In a larger bowl mix together the corn, eggs, cheddar, scallion, butter and milk.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet and mix just to evenly combine.
- Fill a medium saucepan about ⅓ of the way up with vegetable oil. Heat over medium flame.
- When the oil is hot enough VERY carefully drop in a dollop of batter and fry until golden. Using a slotted spoon, move the fritters around a bit to ensure even cooking. Place onto a wire rack to allow excess oil to drip and the fritters stay crisp.
- Repeat until remaining batter is used. Finish with a drizzle of honey.