You all have got to try these Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas Tacos!! So easy to make and the flavors are incredible. A pork shoulder is rubbed with oregano, cumin and olive oil. The addition of fresh squeezed orange adds just the perfect hint of brightness. I served the pork carnitas simply with warmed corn tortillas, avocado, cilantro and a bit of shredded cheddar.
Friends, today is a really fun day… its our Freaky Friday Spring recipe swap! A bunch of my fabulously talented blogger friends and I get assigned a blog to choose a recipe from then create and share with our readers. We don’t find out who we’ve been assigned until today! I was lucky enough to be assigned the incredible Michaela from An Affair From The Heart. Her recipes are always easy and so delicious! When I saw her recipe for Slow Cooker Carnitas I knew I needed to make it!
The wonderfully talented Michaela happens to also be the leader behind this fun event that I am so thankful to be a part of. On An Affair From The Heart she shares so many mouth watering recipes which of course made it really hard to choose one. I absolutely LOVED the sound of her Key Lime Pie Smoothie, Deconstructed Guacamole Salad and Cheesy Cornbread Drop Biscuits! There was something thought that drew me to her slow cooker carnitas! Maybe the ease of the slow cooker coupled with the incredible flavors. Either way as soon as I came across it, I knew I needed to make it and use the carnitas in tacos!
I followed Michaelas recipe exactly but cut it in half to suit just myself and my hubby eating it that night. Pork shoulder is such a perfect cut of meat for a slow cooker because it allows all that gorgeous marbling to melt and add so much flavor to the dish. Her seasonings are simple but amazing! salt, pepper, cumin, oregano, olive oil, red onion, jalapeño and fresh orange juice.
Looks amazing right?! Its that simple- slather the meat, pop in the slow cooker with the onion, jalapeño and orange juice. Set to low for 8 hours and let the slow cooker do the work. At the end of the 8 hours the pork just falls apart using a couple of forks. Add the shredded meat back into the slow cooker in the natural juices that developed to soak up all that flavor before serving.
There are SO many ways to enjoy the Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas- with some loaded nachos, on a toasted bun or TACOS which I couldn’t resist! I really wanted Michaelas pork to shine through so I kept things really simple. I LOVE corn tortillas so always go with them. I warm in a pan to get a little golden and more pliable and keep them warm in a clean dish towel. To top things off a simple squeeze of lime, a slice of avocado, fresh cilantro and a sprinkle of shredded cheddar. DELICIOUS!!
- 2½ lb pork shoulder bone-in roast
- ½ onion, chopped
- ½ jalapeno, seeded, ribs removed, chopped
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 orange, juiced
- 1½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tsp olive oil
- corn tortillas, warmed
- avocado, slices
- shredded cheddar
- Mix together the olive oil, oregano and cumin, set aside.
- Rinse and dry your roast, rub in salt and pepper. Rub in oregano/cumin mixture.
- Place roast in slow cooker. Top with onions, garlic and jalapeño.
- Squeeze the juice of the orange over top.
- Cook on low for 8 hours, remove meat, shred.
- Skim fat off of the juice, return meat and juice to slow cooker.
- Warm the tortillas, keep warm in a clean dish towel. Serve pork carnitas with warm tortillas, shredded cheddar, avocado slices, fresh cilantro and lime wedges.
Please be sure to stop on by all the amazing other blogs to check out the sweet treats they are sharing today!
- A Grande Life – Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip
- An Affair from the Heart – Margarita Dip with Salted Pretzels
- Aunt Bee’s Recipes – BLT Pasta Salad
- Bowl Me Over – Macaroni Pasta Salad
- Hostess at Heart – Blueberry Buckle Recipe – Incredibly Easy To Make
- House of Nash Eats – Asparagus Tart
- Kylee Cooks – No Bake Blueberry Cheesecake
- LeMoine Family Kitchen – Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas Tacos
- Life Currents – Blackened Shrimp Pasta
- Lisa’s Dinnertime Dish – Spicy Thai Basil Slaw
- Mildly Meandering – Mediterranean Scalloped Potatoes
- Seduction in the Kitchen – Grilled Peach Caprese Salad
- Take Two Tapas – Spicy Bacon Wrapped Air Fryer Shrimp
- The Foodie Affair – Coconut Pie with Creamy Custard Filling
- The Speckled Palate – Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese