I just love the classic Grinch from Dr. Seuss so I thought it would be really fun to make Grinch Sugar Cookies to enjoy while watching the show as a family. These are a really easy to make and absolutely adorable!!
One of my favorite cookies to bake is a simple sugar cookie. I’ve made many variations of it but these Grinch Sugar Cookies just might be one of my favorites yet. The cookie recipe is super easy to make and they really come together in no time at all. We watch The Grinch every year and c’mon who could resist that guy when his hearts grows and grows?!
My basic sugar cookie recipe is not super sweet which I love. There is the perfect soft inside with just a bit of crunch on the outside. I rolled the dough into balls using a small cookie scoop then rolled in green sugar crystals. What would a Grinch cookie be without a lot of green right!? These bake really nicely too- they hold their shape well and don’t flatten out.
I admit… I totally cheated and used store bought red decorating frosting that I simply added to a piping bag with a small tip to draw on those hearts. These are such a playful and delicious cookie. Kiddo or adult- these are going to be a hit! Baking is such a fun tradition that I loved from childhood and I am so happy to pass it down to my boys. Sure you make a mess, maybe time is tight but this time of year and always should be about creating special moments.
- 2½ cups flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1½ sticks butter, room temp
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- green sugar crystals
- red decorating frosting
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl mix together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, using an electric hand mixer, cream the butter until smooth. Add in the sugar and mix until well combined. Next add in the egg, vanilla and water and mix until light and fluffy.
- Add in half the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Repeat with the remaining dry ingredients. Be sure not to over mix. You want the dough just combined, use a wooden spoon to incorporate any flour that didn’t get in there.
- Using a small scoop form the dough into balls then roll in the green sugar until coated. Place onto a lined baking sheet and press lightly to form the cookie.
- Bake for for about 12 minutes. Allow the cookie to cool completely before decorating.
- Pipe on your best hearts and enjoy!
You May Also Like:
Old Fashioned Glazed Lemon Ricotta Cookies
These are so festive and fun! Making with my niece and nephew!
Awe, yay! Enjoy!
Angela, these are SO darling, pretty sure my “kids” though big, would still LOVE these!
Thank you!! We really love them and they are so simple to make.
These cookies are too cute! I love the idea!
These cookies are adorable and so delicious! Making them with the kids will be a new holiday tradition.
They really are so fun!!