This Italian Zucchini & Tomato Soup has to be one of the easiest soups and one of my favorites. A handful of very simple ingredients, 30 minutes to cook and the flavors are fantastic!
I tell my kids all the time that their momma LOVES soup so they better learn to love it too because I will not stop making it. My husband used to complain about soup too but I’ve won that battle, he eats and enjoys it now. This Italian Zucchini & Tomato Soup right here really is one of my favorites. Its very comforting, flavorful, easy and on the lighter side so perfect for Spring time as the weather is warming up.
So when I said simple ingredients, I mean REALLY simple. I start my sautéing onion and garlic in olive oil. Once softened I add in broth, diced zucchini and a can of whole peeled tomatoes that i crush with my hands. A little salt and pepper to taste, simmer for 30 minutes then add in some cooked ditalini pasta and serve. I like to serve a nice loaf of crusty Italian bread with this one because it is just perfect for dunking. A little grated cheese to top it off and you are set.
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, rough chop
- small onion, diced
- 3 large zucchini
- 1- 28 oz can whole peeled san marzano tomatoes, crushed by hand
- 8 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- salt & pepper to taste
- cooked ditalini pasta
- grated pecorino cheese
- In a large pot over medium low heat add the olive oil, onion and garlic. Cook a few minutes until slightly softened. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the zucchini, tomatoes and broth. Simmer for 30 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Cook some ditalini pasta to al dente. Plate some pasta in a bowl topped with a good helping of soup and finish with grated pecorino cheese.
You may also like:
Love the zucchini and tomato soup. Do you have nutritional information on this dish?
Glad to hear! I don’t use a nutritional calculator for the site but you might be able to find website where you can plug in to find out.