Not sure what it was but today after running today I was craving a good Italian Sub! I don’t do big sandwiches very often but when I do have one, it has got to be a good one packed with incredible flavor. This Italian Sub with Soppressata, Mozzarella, Roasted Peppers, Arugula & Olive Spread was perfect and totally hit the spot!!!
Italian family dinners often start with antipasto; platters full of Italian cured meats, cheeses, olives and roasted peppers. I think I could eat antipasto everyday so it was my inspiration for this sandwich! In my opinion, a good Italian Sub MUST start with good bread, like this ciabatta roll. Nice crust on the outside and the inside is perfectly chewy. Its not overly doughy which I love too!
Inside that perfect roll are layers upon layers of goodness! At the base, a simple olive spread, then a whole lot of fresh arugula, slices of fresh mozzarella, roasted red peppers and that perfectly meaty salty soppresata! A little sprinkle of oregano and you are all set to enjoy a fabulous antipasto inspired Italian Sub.
- ciabatta rolls
- kalamatta olives
- fresh mozzarella, sliced
- roasted red peppers, sliced
- sweet or spicy soppresata
- dried oregano
- olive oil
- Pop a couple spoonfuls of olives into a food processor and pulse a few times to finely chop. Smear the olive spread on the bottom piece of the ciabatta roll.
- Top with a couple handfuls of arugula, followed by a few slices of fresh mozzarella, roasted peppers then the soppresata. Season with a little pepper if you like.
- Drizzle a little olive oil and a sprinkle or oregano on the top half of the roll.