There are so many dishes that remind me of my grandparents, these Italian Green Beans & Tomato are definitely one of those dishes! As in most of my grandparents cooking, these are really simple, not much to them but absolutely delicious! A handful of ingredients, a couple simple steps and thats it!
A funny thing about my grandparents and vegetables… when veggies were cooked, they were really cooked! The term al dente in reference to vegetables was non existent. My grandmother loves her veggies well done and honestly in this dish, it works… maybe its a nostalgic thing but it works.
These are great as a side dish to a roast beef, chicken cutlets or a simple roast pork. I’ve also made them tossed with pasta.
- 2 lbs of green beans, ends trimmed
- 1- 28 oz can San Marzano tomatoes, pureed
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- grated pecorino romano
- Cook the green beans in a pot of boiling water until tender. Drain and set to the side.
- In a large saute pan, over medium low heat, add a few drizzles of olive oil, the garlic and shallot.
- Saute until softened. Stir in the tomatoes and a little salt and pepper.
- Simmer the sauce, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Add in the green beans, toss to coat and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Place onto a platter and sprinkle with some pecorino romano cheese.