I love a simple and flavorful pasta dish and truly the flavor combinations with pasta are endless. This Pasta with Prosciutto, Peas and Mascarpone is one of my absolute favorites! Crispy salty prosciutto with that burst of green peas and the creamy mascarpone.. it is heavenly!
Most days I am looking for dinner dishes that come together quickly and this one right here is a winner! Pasta with Prosciutto, Peas and Mascarpone is not only easy to make but so delicious! Nothing complicated with the textures and flavors are spot on. Salty crisp prosciutto, burst of peas and that creamy melted mascarpone coating everything is just heaven.
Just a handful of ingredients to make this Pasta with Prosciutto, Peas and Mascarpone. I love the fun shape of Cavatappi but of course any shape would be great! Some prosciutto, red onion, garlic, frozen peats, mascarpone, olive oil, salt and pepper make for a great weeknight meal.
I start my heating up a pan with a couple Tbsp of olive oil and browning up a 1/4 lb of diced prosciutto. Have you ever had crispy prosciutto? Swooonnnnn, it is so so good and lets be honest I could eat it right of the pan. In this dish though, it creates the base to this simple dish.
Set the prosciutto aside, add another Tbsp of olive oil to the pan and sauté some fresh garlic and onion until softened. The aroma of this combo cooking is one of my very favorites and reminds me of my grandparents and mom cooking when I was growing up. While all this is going on you can go ahead and cook your pasta to a minute shy of al dente.
Once the pasta is cooked reserve 1/2 -1 cup of the cooking water. Add the pasta to the pan with the onion and garlic. Stir in the peas and mascarpone and stir to melt the cheese. If its a little dry go ahead and slowly add in a little pasta water.
I then season with salt to taste and a generous amount of cracked black pepper. You can stir the prosciutto in at this point or serve it overtop. Either way is perfect!
- ¼ lb prosciutto, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 3 Tbsp finely diced red onion
- 2½ cups frozen peas
- 1½ lbs dry cavatappi pasta
- 2 cups mascarpone
- olive oil
- ½- 1 cup reserved pasta water
- salt, pepper
- Bring a pot of water up to a boil.
- While the water is heating go ahead and heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add in 3 Tbsp olive oil and the prosciutto. Cook until good and crisp, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the prosciutto and set aside. Add 1 more Tbsp of olive oil and add in the garlic and onion.
- Go ahead and drop the pasta in while the garlic and onion sauté. Cook to a minute shy of al dente. Be sure to reserve some pasta water before straining.
- Add the pasta to the skillet along with the mascarpone and peas. Add some pasta water to keep it moist if needed. Season with salt and a good amount of cracked black pepper. Cook for a minute or two.
- Serve the pasta topped with the crispy prosciutto.