Braised Chicken & Artichokes over Linguini. The flavors that develop as this dish simmers are incredible. White wine, tomato, shallots, garlic… need I go on? This is an incredible chicken dish!
Sometimes I make a dish and it ends up surprising me a little with how incredibly flavorful it turns out… this Braised Chicken & Artichokes over Linguini is certainly one of them. Maybe I shouldn’t be surprised seeing as it starts with inexpensive yet juicy chicken thighs then comes white wine, fresh thyme, tomato, shallots, garlic and artichoke hearts. A loaf of crusty bread to sop all that fantastic sauce up you all are going to be in dinner heaven!
I love a braised dish and heres why… all the “work” is just to get it going then the ingredients do the rest to become a delicious meal. For this I used bone in, skin on chicken thighs. They are typically very inexpensive, the bones and skin help keep the meat from drying out and that skin adds great flavor to the dish. I start this by browning the skin with a little olive oil in a large dutch oven.
Once the skin is golden and the fat rendered out, you remove the chicken from the pot and add in shallots, garlic and cook until softened. Stir in tomato paste and white wine. Once that reduces down you go ahead and add in the artichoke hearts and chicken broth. Simmer away for an hour & a half and just before serving you add in frozen peas. Serve over linguini and dinner is set! No fuss, so tender and that sauce is HEAVEN!
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 4½ - 5 lbs bone in skin on chicken thighs
- 4 shallots, chopped
- 8 cloves of garlic, chopped
- about 4 sprigs of thyme
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 2 cups white wine
- 2 - 12 oz jars marinated artichokes, drained
- 4-5 cups broth
- 2 cups frozen peas
- salt and pepper
- Served over linguini
- Heat a large heavy duty pot over medium high heat. Add in the olive oil.
- Season the thighs with salt and pepper. In batches, brown the chicken until the skin in golden. Remove and set aside. Do this with all the chicken and be sure to not over crowd the pan.
- Lower the flame a bit and add the thyme, garlic and shallots to the pot. Cook until softened.
- Stir in the tomato paste and cook for a couple minutes, stirring to prevent burning.
- Add in the white wine and allow to simmer and reduce by half.
- Add in the artichoke hearts and broth. Add the chicken back in as well. Cover ¾ of the way and simmer for about 1½ hours.
- At the end of the cooking time stir in the frozen peas and just cook for an extra minute.
- Serve over al dente linguini. Garnish with grated cheese or fresh parsley.
You may also like: