Sweet Potato & Butternut Squash Soup. Smooth, velvety and so full of flavor. This comforting bowl of soup just screams Fall.
If it weren’t for the complaints of my kids and husband, I could really eat soup three times a week no problem. As soon as the weather begins to cool off I whip out my arsenal of soup recipes. A few days ago I made this INCREDIBLE Sweet Potato & Butternut Squash Soup and it is perfection. One bite of this wonderfully flavorful, smooth and creamy soup and you’ll be dreaming of watching the leaves falling while sitting around a fire pit.
This soup is so healthy and easy to make. It freezes great so make a big ole batch and always have it on hand for busy nights. It starts with sautéing a shallot and garlic in olive oil. In goes diced sweet potato, butternut squash a little sugar, cinnamon, salt, pepper water and vegetable broth. Simmer away until everything is tender and puree with a hand blender until smooth. At the very end I stir in 2 oz of cream cheese to add to the velvety texture of the soup. Garnished with a little fresh thyme and dinner is served!
NOTE: Natures variations in sizes on your sweet potatoes and squash can effect the consistency of the soup. In the end if the soup seems a little thin simply allow it to simmer a little longer. If it seems to thick, stir in a little extra broth after pureeing.
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and medium dice
- 1 medium sized butternut squash, peeled and medium dice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- pepper to taste
- 2 oz cream cheese
- optional: fresh thyme leaves for garnish
- In a large pot, over medium heat, add the olive oil, shallots and garlic. Cook until just slightly softened.
- Add in the remaining ingredients except the cream cheese. Bring to a boil then lower the heat, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Using a hand blender, blend the soup until smooth. Simmer for another 30 minutes.
- Stir in the cream cheese and stir until melted into the soup. Season with salt and pepper as needed.
You may also like: