I just cannot get enough of the sweet sweet summer fruit, especially when I can get it locally. Right now in New Jersey we are in the middle of blueberry season and that makes me very happy! We are going through several pints every week. I’m loving creating delicious recipes like this Nectarine Blueberry Crisp. I love fruit crisps, they are perfect for any time of year using whats in season. Served warm with some vanilla ice cream and you are set. A great dessert for any summer get together.
Just like you can use any combo of fruit for a crisp, you can also use a variety of different ingredients for the topping. While I love a classic apple crisp, there is something about the brightness of Summer fruit that I really just can;’t get enough of. The way the blueberries just burst and the amazing juicy nectarines… its just a perfect combo!
For the topping I always use oats, cinnamon, brown sugar and butter but this time I also threw in some honey roasted slivered almonds and I love the flavor they added. The fruit is perfectly sweet and that topping is so tasty and golden…. this is a new favorite for sure. And don’t forget the ice cream! It is a must with any warm fruit crisp.
- For the fruit filling:
- 10 nectarines, sliced
- 1 pint blueberries
- ½ cup flour
- ½ stick butter, small dice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- For the crisp topping:
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ¾ cup honey roasted sliced almonds
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 stick butter, small dice
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl mix together the nectarines, blueberries, flour, cinnamon and butter. Pour into a buttered 9x13 baking dish.
- In another bowl mix together the oats, cinnamon, almonds, brown sugar and butter. Spread evenly over the top of the fruit.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake another 30 minutes.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
You may also like: