I absolutely adore my slow cooker on those busy days that I just don’t have time to be in the kitchen. Everything that comes out of that thing always is so yummy. I especially love using the slow cooker to make my own Chicken Broth. Just a handful of ingredients, press a button and let the slow cooker do all the work. You end up with an incredible homemade broth that can be used for any soup or gravy and 8 pieces of tender, juicy chicken thighs. I’ve got 3 recipes that would be perfect to use the shredded chicken in. With very little effort, you can stretch this one slow cooker recipe into several meals for the week… how fantastic is that!?!?!
There really isn’t much that make a tasty broth… water, chicken, onion, carrots, celery, salt and pepper. When it cooks low and slow for 8- 10 hours, the results are incredible! Whenever I have the bones left from a roast chicken, I follow this same method to make a batch of broth. Its great to freeze and always have homemade broth on hand when you are in a pinch to throw a dinner together.
- 8 skinless chicken thighs
- 3 celery stalks, cut into thirds
- 3 carrots, peeled & cut in large pieces
- 1 onion, quartered
- salt & pepper
- Throw all the ingredients into the slow cooker, filling enough water to go about two inches from the top.
- Cover, set for 8-10 hours and let it go.
- Cool completely, remove the veggies and skim off any fat from the top.
- Shred the chicken.
3 Shredded Chicken Recipes