One of my favorite cuisines to cook is Mexican! I don’t mean the greasy, overly cheesy… I’m talking bright fresh flavors like in this Grilled Chicken, Avocado, Rice & Cheddar Burrito. Perfectly seasoned grilled chicken breast with just a little bit of spice and a good char off the grill. It pairs perfectly with the creamy avocado, sharp cheddar and some brown rice in there as well. Pressed just before serving and wow, what a delicious meal!
The seasoning I used on the chicken is a favorite of mine and the same I used for my Southwest Chicken Salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing. A combination of cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, oregano, salt and pepper is rubbed all over the chicken and then grilled. Its so incredibly flavorful!
To go along with the chicken, I sliced ripe avocados and tossed the slices with fresh lime juice, salt and pepper. Its all about seasoning all the elements. I just love rice in burritos so I added that in there as well. Plenty of freshly shredded cheddar and a little fresh cilantro.
So these are stuffed beautifully but just to add a little something more, I threw these on a panini press to get those gorgeous grill marks and I love the little bit of crispiness it adds. I served just a few wedges of lime and salsa along with the burritos. These are great burritos!!
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp cumin
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 avocado, sliced, tossed with lime juice, salt & pepper
- brown rice, cooked and rinsed to remove the sticky starch
- freshly shredded cheddar
- lime wedges, for serving
- extra large tortillas
- In a small bowl mix together the chili powder, salt, garlic powder, oregano, cumin and olive oil.
- Slather the rub all over the chicken breasts. Let it sit on there for about 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Grill the chicken for about 5 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the chicken. When the juices run clear, the chicken should be cooked through. Allow to rest a few minutes before slicing.
- On the tortilla, layer some cheddar, brown rice, sliced grilled chicken, avocado slices and fresh cilantro.
- To assemble, fold over the side closest to you, then fold the sides in a little bit and from there go ahead and just roll the whole thing until closed.
- Placed onto a panini press and cook just until you've got those great grill marks and the cheese is melted.
- Serve with lime wedges and salsa. I also shoved in some extra cilantro after cutting the burrito because I am one of those that LOVES cilantro!
You may also like:
Southwest Chicken Salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing
That looks amazing! Everyone at our house would love these. I’ll have to make some!
Thank you! Hope you all love them as much as we do!
Happy Valley Chow
This looks awesome! Definitely am going to be trying this, thanks for sharing 🙂
Happy Valley Chow
Thank you!!! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do! It’s a great simple meal.
Those look fabulous and I love the sound of that chicken seasoning! We eat burritos at least a couple times a month! Looking forward to trying these!
I love burritos too!!! I hope you enjoy these as much as we do!
Angela I love that you added the rice into the burrito and also love seasoning every layer with the wonderful spices. I am sure I would love this.
Thank you Patty! I love making them. Such great flavors and I love the spice of the chicken with the creamy avocado
This is definitely something my family would love. I often cook chicken w/ similar seasonings so this would even be great for my leftovers of that too!
I love it! I always make some extra chicken for wraps, salads and such!
April J Harris (@apriljharris)
What wonderful, healthy burritos! I can’t wait to give these a try!
They are so tasty April, enjoy!
Dan from Platter Talk
Thanks so much Dan!