One of my favorite cuisines to cook is Mexican! I don’t mean the greasy, overly cheesy… I’m talking bright fresh flavors like in this Grilled Chicken, Avocado, Rice & Cheddar Burrito. Perfectly seasoned grilled chicken breast with just a little bit of spice and a good char off the grill. It pairs perfectly with the creamy avocado, sharp cheddar and some brown rice in there as well. Pressed just before serving and wow, what a delicious meal!
The seasoning I used on the chicken is a favorite of mine and the same I used for my Southwest Chicken Salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing. A combination of cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, oregano, salt and pepper is rubbed all over the chicken and then grilled. Its so incredibly flavorful!
To go along with the chicken, I sliced ripe avocados and tossed the slices with fresh lime juice, salt and pepper. Its all about seasoning all the elements. I just love rice in burritos so I added that in there as well. Plenty of freshly shredded cheddar and a little fresh cilantro.
So these are stuffed beautifully but just to add a little something more, I threw these on a panini press to get those gorgeous grill marks and I love the little bit of crispiness it adds. I served just a few wedges of lime and salsa along with the burritos. These are great burritos!!
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp cumin
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 avocado, sliced, tossed with lime juice, salt & pepper
- brown rice, cooked and rinsed to remove the sticky starch
- freshly shredded cheddar
- lime wedges, for serving
- extra large tortillas
- In a small bowl mix together the chili powder, salt, garlic powder, oregano, cumin and olive oil.
- Slather the rub all over the chicken breasts. Let it sit on there for about 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Grill the chicken for about 5 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the chicken. When the juices run clear, the chicken should be cooked through. Allow to rest a few minutes before slicing.
- On the tortilla, layer some cheddar, brown rice, sliced grilled chicken, avocado slices and fresh cilantro.
- To assemble, fold over the side closest to you, then fold the sides in a little bit and from there go ahead and just roll the whole thing until closed.
- Placed onto a panini press and cook just until you've got those great grill marks and the cheese is melted.
- Serve with lime wedges and salsa. I also shoved in some extra cilantro after cutting the burrito because I am one of those that LOVES cilantro!
You may also like: