I am upping my salad intake and loving it. I know so many people talk about getting bored of grilled chicken and salad when trying to eat healthy but not with this Southwest Chicken Salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing! I mean how fantastic does this look, right?! That chicken breast is so wonderfully seasoned and grilled to perfection. The bright fresh flavors of the components of the salad all finished off with the most simple but super flavorful dressing and you’ve got this winning salad!
Too many people think that eating healthy means flavorless, boring food and I couldn’t disagree more. Fresh, whole ingredients pack tons of flavor and nutrition all on their own. Herbs and spices are the easiest way to add flavor to something simple like a chicken breast. The Southwest Chicken here is seasoned with a blend of chili powder, garlic powder, oregano, cumin, salt, pepper and a little bit of olive oil. The crust that develops of the chicken as it grills is AMAZING!!!!
The salad is really simple with chopped romaine lettuce, thinly sliced red onion, diced tomatoes, black beans and avocado. Bringing this salad all together is the bright and refreshing dressing. Doesn’t get much easier with just some olive oil, fresh lime juice, garlic, lots of cilantro and salt & pepper. To quote my husband after his first bite, “oh wow!”. Yea, you need to make this one soon!
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp cumin
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- sliced avocado
- diced plum tomatoes
- thinly sliced red onion
- canned clack beans, rinsed and drained
- romaine lettuce, chopped
- For the dressing:
- juice of 3 limes
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- a big handful of fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl mix together the chili powder, salt, garlic powder, oregano, cumin and olive oil.
- Slather the rub all over the chicken breasts. Let it sit on there for about 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Grill the chicken for about 5 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the chicken. When the juices run clear, the chicken should be cooked through. Allow to rest a few minutes before slicing.
- Make the dressing in a little bowl or mason jar. Mix up the lime juice, olive oil, cilantro, garlic, salt and pepper.
- To assemble the salad, start with the romaine and top with some tomato, avocado, red onion and black beans.
- Top the salad with the sliced grilled chicken and finish it off with that refreshing lime dressing.
You may also like:
Grilled Chicken with Creamy Lemon Tomato Basil Sauce
Fuss Free Helen
Lovely salad. I have a weakness for anything with coriander!
Thank you so much Helen! It’s really so delicious!
What a sensational dinner!
Thank you Patty!!!
I am seriously drooling over this salad Angela! Your photos are incredible and everything looks so fresh and inviting! Wonderful job my friend!
Linda, thank you so much, you are so so sweet!!! I appreciate your kind words so much!
Dear Angela, This sounds wonderful! Just my kind of meal. xo, Catherine
Thanks Catherine! It’s so filling & healthy, I just love it!
This chicken salad sounds absolutely wonderful, Angela! I love the look of the cilantro lime dressing. How fresh and flavorsome!
Thank you Nicole!!! It is fantastic!!! I could eat this all the time!
Betsy @ Desserts Required
Oh, wow is right! I am such a salad lover and always looking for something new and refreshing. Thank you!
Thank you Betsy!! This is a fantastic salad!! Super healthy & flavorful!!
Joanne T Ferguson
This looks and sounds absolutely delicious Angela! YUM! This is now on my list to do!
Thank you! I could eat this for lunch at least 3 times a week it’s so good!
Patricia @ Grab a Plate
Totally agree with you — eating healthy doesn’t have to mean flavorless! Love making dressings at home, and this one sounds amazing!
Love this salad! It has my name all over it! Yum! Shared and pinned.