The grill is not just for burgers and hot dogs, why not pizza too! Have you ever made grilled pizza? Its fantastic and if you haven’t yet you are seriously missing out! The flavor of anything on the grill is wonderful but its that perfect char crisp that makes grilled pizza such a winner! The dough cooks up in no time at all! I made this Grilled Pizza with Prosciutto & Arugula over the weekend for my boys birthday party and it was a HUGE HUGE hit!!! Heck, there were high fives thrown over this pizza so you need to plan a day and make this SOON!
Make this really easy on yourself, go to your favorite pizzeria and buy a few rounds of their dough. You know its going o be delicious and then you don’t have to fuss with yeast and waiting for your dough to rise. So what makes this so special? I cut each round into threes because it makes it so much easier to work with on the grill. Stretch each piece and here it is…. a brush of seasoned olive oil and right onto the grill. This alone could be enough but no no!
Once the dough is nicely cooked on one side you flip it over, top the cooked side with fresh mozzarella and cook until again nice and crisp. Take the pizza off the grill and top with baby arugula that has been lightly tossed in lemon juice, salt and pepper as well as torn pieces of prosciutto!!!! Oh. My. this is my heaven!!!! The combination of the perfectly charred pizza crust, the herbed olive oil, the peppery arugula and the salty prosciutto…. I mean its just perfection!!!
While sitting around the fire pit after the party we decided there was going to be a grilled pizza party very soon! I also made a Margherita pizza that was also a big hit! For this one, once you flip the dough you’ll top with sauce and mozzarella, shut the lid and let everything melt. So good!
- pizza dough rounds, room temp, cut into thirds
- olive oil
- Italian seasoned salt
- fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- salt & pepper
- Preheat your grill to a medium high flame.
- Stretch out each piece of pizza dough until relatively thin. You can use a rolling pin or simply stretch by holding onto the edges of the dough and rotate the dough in your hands, letting gravity pull it. I love keeping the shape of the pizza rustic for this.
- Get the arugula ready by simply tossing it with fresh squeezed lemon juice, salt and a good amount of pepper. Set to the side.
- Brush one side of each piece with olive oil and a good sprinkle of Italian seasoned salt.
- Place the brushed side down onto the grill and cook for about 3 minutes until nice and crisp. Flip the dough and brush again with olive oil and sprinkle with the seasoned salt.
- Layer on some mozzarella and shut the lid to help melt the cheese. Once the dough is crisp on the other side you are good to go.
- Carefully move the pizza onto a cutting board. Top with a nice amount of the arugula and the then some rustically torn pieces of prosciutto.
I love the sound of your grilled pizza Angela!
Thank you Nancy!!!! Its so simple but oh so good!!!
Looks like a major winner here with this pizza! What a great combination of flavors, and grilled to boot. Love this!
Thanks so much! I very much appreciate your comment!!! Its definitely a winner around here! Hope you give it a try!
This is one of my favorite combinations on a pizza, yours looks lovely!!
I’m right there with you!!! I absolutely adore prosciutto and arugula! Throw in some cheese, yum!
Thank you so much Tara!!! Whats not to love about pizza, right?!?!