I don’t know about you, but around her in Jersey, the weather has been whacky!!! We’ve had some gorgeous sunny warm days followed by gloomy windy days. The next few days here are going to be the picture for “April Showers Bring May Flowers”. I feel like I’m stuck in this weird spot with food! Today was beautiful and that made me want to get out and grill, so I made chicken & veggie kabobs. Then as the day went on, the temps dropped and rather then a cold salad I came up with this delicious side dish; Couscouc, Wild Rice, Brussel Sprouts & Dried Cranberries! The little bit of sweetness that the plump cranberries add to the hearty rice and brussel sprouts was just wonderful!!!
I started my fourth 24 day challenge today and that means clean eating for me! This typically means that when it comes to rice or pasta, its whole grains for me but I had this on hand and well, close enough for me. This still makes for a healthy side dish and you can of course substitute whole grain varieties to make it officially “clean”. I love the tender rice and couscous along with the slight bite of the wild rice, the mild brussel sprouts and the dried cranberries really add such a delicious burst of flavor. As I was eating this tonight I was thinking, hmmmm this would make for a great holiday side dish too!
- 1 box Near East Long Grain & Wild Rice Original
- 1 box Near East Pearled Couscous Original Plain
- 10 oz cont. brussel sprouts, sliced
- 2 tsp garlic & herb seasoning
- ½ - ¾ cup dried cranberries
- salt & pepper
- Add 4½ cups water or vegetable broth to a pot and bring to a boil.
- Add all the contents of the long grain and wild rice box, including the seasoning pack plus the garlic and herb seasoning. Simmer on low for about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the couscous and brussel sprouts. Simmer for another 10-12 minutes until the rice, couscous and brussel sprouts are cooked through.
- Shut the heat and stir in the dried cranberries to slightly plump them up. Season to taste with salt and pepper.