Yesterday I went into my fridge and realized I had 3 baby eggplants that I forgot I had and of course we couldn’t let them go to waste! Initially I was thinking of making a warm & cheesy eggplant dip buutttt then I realized I packed up or just can’t find any small baking dishes! Oh the joys of the moving process! So had to move onto the next idea which I have to say made for a delicious simple lunch! These Roasted Eggplant & Mozzarella Melts were so easy to make and the flavors are great! The roasted eggplants are pureed with garlic, basil, olive oil, salt and pepper. Smeared on some sliced rye bread, topped off with a slice of fresh mozzarella and broiled until bubbly and golden! These would be great as a snack or party appetizer as well, just use those adorable tea sandwich sized rye bread.
Besides that these are easy to make and tasty, I love that you can use the concept and make so many different melts! Roasting veggies really does wonders for the intensity of flavor; zucchini would be great with some fontina, broccoli with cheddar or a sweet version with pear and brie! Use what you love!
- 3 baby eggplants or 1 large, halved lengthwise
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 handful of fresh basil leaves
- fresh mozzarella, sliced thin
- olive oil
- sliced rye bread (I used 6 slices)
- salt & pepper
- Very lightly toast the rye bread and set aside.
- Preheat you oven to 375 degrees.
- Drizzle olive oil, salt and pepper on the flesh of the eggplant. Place it flesh side down on a parchment lined baking sheet. Roast for about 30 minutes until lightly golden and tender.
- Place the eggplant, skin and all, into a food processor along with the garlic cloves, basil, a little salt and pepper. Pulse a couple times. Add in 1-2 Tbsp of olive oil (depends on the size of your eggplant) and pulse until mostly smooth. You don't want it runny with oil so add a little at a time.
- Taste the eggplant spread and season with salt and pepper if needed. Spread some of the eggplant on each slice of rye bread. Place a slice of fresh mozzarella on each slice.
- Place the melts back on the baking sheet and pop under the broiler until golden and bubbly. Keep an eye on them, you don't want to burn these beauties.